Earth Day was established in America on 22nd April 1970, since then it has reached a global audience and participants, mobilizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting environmental issues onto the world stage. More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
Earth Day Network’s mission is to broaden and diversify the environmental movement worldwide and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations.
Growing out of the first Earth Day, Earth Day Network is the world’s largest recruiter to the environmental movement, working with more than 50,000 partners in 196 countries to build environmental democracy. We work through a combination of education, public policy, and consumer campaigns.
Launching in 2018, Earth Day UK is building on this amazing social movement to develop UK events and action for citizen led initiatives as we approach the 50th anniversary.
Over the next five years we plan to establish this community of interest and join the global celebration of the earth we all call home.
- To support, promote and engage with ecological awareness and action throughout Britain to help increasing the prominance of groups and individals active in this area.
- To help maintain and build on the spirit of collaboration between our nations people while joining with other nations through the Earth Day Network, working towards a stronger future.
- To support the Earth Day network by developing a UK Earth Day celebration – a yearly time to focus the public on all of the positive efforts we make and have a dialogue around what more can be done.
- To develop a year round celebration of those engaged and to begin new activities for those who arent.
- To develop EarthDayUK the organisation as a community of interest open for people to join in at any level, collaborate in, find partners, look for inspiration, and in general gain strength by seeing that we are a community.